Single Digital Gateway

Registering a foreign document in the Netherlands

Do you have a foreign document, such as a birth certificate, a death certificate or divorce documents? If you are a citizen of the Netherlands or a refugee with a temporary asylum residence permit (statushouder) you must register it with the municipality where you live.

Most documents from the European Union (EU) are automatically valid in the Netherlands. You can register these documents with your municipality.

The municipality records these documents in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). In other cases, you will first need to have your document translated and then legalised.

Is your document in English, French or German? Then you do not need to have your deed translated.

Is your document in another language? Then you need to have your document translated into Dutch before registering it. You must have your document translated by a sworn translator in the Netherlands. Was your document translated outside the Netherlands? Then you will need to have the translation of your document legalised.

Do you think you will need a copy of your document at a later date? Then you can choose to have your foreign document converted into an official Dutch document (akte) at the municipality of Den Haag (The Hague). This can make it easier for you if you need an official copy (afschrift) while resident in the Netherlands. Converting your foreign document to a Dutch document is not compulsory.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Laarbeek: Registering a foreign document

NB. You can only register a foreign deed if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

Do you want to register a foreign deed? You must make an appointment with the municipality for this.

Legalization and verification of documents is intended to provide certainty about the authenticity and reliability of documents from abroad. This mainly concerns deeds and court decisions. You need these papers to register in the Personal Records Database (BRP) or to be able to get married, divorce or recognize children.

You need a recent original certified copy of the deed or judgment.
Sometimes this requirement for legalization of a document means that you have to go to your country of origin with the document yourself in order to provide the necessary legalization statements.
You can often have a document legalized with the help of family in your country of origin.
It is rare that legalization is free of charge. In any case, the Dutch representation abroad levies a fee for the legalization. The costs for these fees differ per country.

The registration of a foreign document is free of charge.

It takes a maximum of 4 months to have a foreign document converted into a Dutch document. Urgent requests are not possible.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Laarbeek

Last updated on 22 September 2022