Single Digital Gateway

Registering a foreign document in the Netherlands

Do you have a foreign document, such as a birth certificate, a death certificate or divorce documents? If you are a citizen of the Netherlands or a refugee with a temporary asylum residence permit (statushouder) you must register it with the municipality where you live.

Most documents from the European Union (EU) are automatically valid in the Netherlands. You can register these documents with your municipality.

The municipality records these documents in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). In other cases, you will first need to have your document translated and then legalised.

Is your document in English, French or German? Then you do not need to have your deed translated.

Is your document in another language? Then you need to have your document translated into Dutch before registering it. You must have your document translated by a sworn translator in the Netherlands. Was your document translated outside the Netherlands? Then you will need to have the translation of your document legalised.

Do you think you will need a copy of your document at a later date? Then you can choose to have your foreign document converted into an official Dutch document (akte) at the municipality of Den Haag (The Hague). This can make it easier for you if you need an official copy (afschrift) while resident in the Netherlands. Converting your foreign document to a Dutch document is not compulsory.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Registering foreign documents

Do you possess a certificate or document of an event that occurred abroad? Like a birth, marriage, divorce, death, recognition or adoption? In these cases you must arrange for registration of these documents with the municipality. Make an appointment to do so, or call 14015 (0031 15 260 2222 for foreign calls). 

The event must be legally valid in the country where it occurred. This implies that the document must have been drafted according to local regulations and by a competent authority.


In practically all cases, foreign documents must be legalised in their country of origin. For applicable procedures per individual country, consult the website van de Rijksoverheid / Dutch government website.


You will not need a translation of documents in:

  • Dutch
  • English
  • French
  • German

Is your document in another language? In that case you need a translation. You must proceed as follows:

  • Apply to the issuing department of the document for a multi-language model form. This is only possible for documents originating from the European Union.
  • You arrange translation of your document by a sworn translator.

You must bring:

  • Valid proof of identity
  • Original documents accompanied by translations and legalisations wherever required

Original document

At the time of your appointment, the municipality will take possession of the original document. You will be given a copy. As soon as the municipality has processed your records you will be notified that you can collect your original document.

Declaration of no sham marriage

Do you want to register a foreign marriage? In that case the municipality may ask you to issue a 'Verklaring geen schijnhuwelijk' / Declaration of no sham marriage. You must both sign this declaration.

Registration of a foreign marriage deed is free of charge.

The municipality will handle your request within 4 weeks.

For more information, go to Any questions? Call 14015 (0031 15 260 2222 for foreign calls).

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Delft

Visiting address

Stationsplein 1

2611BV Delft

Opening hours
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
Last updated on 22 September 2022