Single Digital Gateway

Registering a foreign document in the Netherlands

Do you have a foreign document, such as a birth certificate, a death certificate or divorce documents? If you are a citizen of the Netherlands or a refugee with a temporary asylum residence permit (statushouder) you must register it with the municipality where you live.

Most documents from the European Union (EU) are automatically valid in the Netherlands. You can register these documents with your municipality.

The municipality records these documents in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). In other cases, you will first need to have your document translated and then legalised.

Is your document in English, French or German? Then you do not need to have your deed translated.

Is your document in another language? Then you need to have your document translated into Dutch before registering it. You must have your document translated by a sworn translator in the Netherlands. Was your document translated outside the Netherlands? Then you will need to have the translation of your document legalised.

Do you think you will need a copy of your document at a later date? Then you can choose to have your foreign document converted into an official Dutch document (akte) at the municipality of Den Haag (The Hague). This can make it easier for you if you need an official copy (afschrift) while resident in the Netherlands. Converting your foreign document to a Dutch document is not compulsory.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Handing in foreign source documents

The municipality will update your details in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP) if you have a deed or document from abroad. We call these deeds and documents source documents. You must book an appointment with the municipality in order to do so.

By telephone 030-2289411


You must make an appointment

A valid proof of identity (passport, identity card, driving license or foreigner's document)
The original document to be handed in and any translation of this document
Your document may need a legalization or apostille stamp. The Netherlands has made agreements on this with a number of countries. You can find out whether your document requires an authentication stamp or an apostille stamp on the Netherlands Worldwide website.

Meer informatie vindt u op de gemeentelijke website

The registration of a foreign document is free of charge.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of De Bilt

Visiting address

Soestdijkseweg Zuid 173

3721AB Bilthoven

Opening hours
Last updated on 22 September 2022