Single Digital Gateway

Registering a foreign document in the Netherlands

Do you have a foreign document, such as a birth certificate, a death certificate or divorce documents? If you are a citizen of the Netherlands or a refugee with a temporary asylum residence permit (statushouder) you must register it with the municipality where you live.

Most documents from the European Union (EU) are automatically valid in the Netherlands. You can register these documents with your municipality.

The municipality records these documents in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). In other cases, you will first need to have your document translated and then legalised.

Is your document in English, French or German? Then you do not need to have your deed translated.

Is your document in another language? Then you need to have your document translated into Dutch before registering it. You must have your document translated by a sworn translator in the Netherlands. Was your document translated outside the Netherlands? Then you will need to have the translation of your document legalised.

Do you think you will need a copy of your document at a later date? Then you can choose to have your foreign document converted into an official Dutch document (akte) at the municipality of Den Haag (The Hague). This can make it easier for you if you need an official copy (afschrift) while resident in the Netherlands. Converting your foreign document to a Dutch document is not compulsory.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Register foreign document

We register your personal data in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP). These details are on, for example, a birth certificate, marriage certificate or declaration of unmarried status.

Do you have a document you want to register in the BRP? Then you can make an appointment to do so.

Please note. You can only register a foreign deed if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

For more information, visit our website via the link below.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Bernheze

Visiting address

De Misse 6

5384ZG Heesch

Opening hours
Last updated on 22 September 2022