Single Digital Gateway

Registering a foreign document in the Netherlands

Do you have a foreign document, such as a birth certificate, a death certificate or divorce documents? If you are a citizen of the Netherlands or a refugee with a temporary asylum residence permit (statushouder) you must register it with the municipality where you live.

Most documents from the European Union (EU) are automatically valid in the Netherlands. You can register these documents with your municipality.

The municipality records these documents in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP). In other cases, you will first need to have your document translated and then legalised.

Is your document in English, French or German? Then you do not need to have your deed translated.

Is your document in another language? Then you need to have your document translated into Dutch before registering it. You must have your document translated by a sworn translator in the Netherlands. Was your document translated outside the Netherlands? Then you will need to have the translation of your document legalised.

Do you think you will need a copy of your document at a later date? Then you can choose to have your foreign document converted into an official Dutch document (akte) at the municipality of Den Haag (The Hague). This can make it easier for you if you need an official copy (afschrift) while resident in the Netherlands. Converting your foreign document to a Dutch document is not compulsory.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Registering a foreign document in the Netherlands

Do you want to register a foreign document? You must book an appointment with the municipality in order to do so. Call the City of Amsterdam’s information line 14 020. Monday to Friday between 08.00 and 18.00. If you're calling from abroad, call [+31 20 624 1111](tel:+31 20 624 1111).

You must bring the following documents to the appointment:

  • the original document;
  • your passport and/or identity card (or a copy thereof);
  • an official translation of the document by a sworn translator; this is only necessary if the document is not in Dutch, English, German or French.

Document entered in the municipality’s BRP

The municipality will then enter your document in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database).

The registration of a foreign document is free of charge.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Amsterdam

Last updated on 22 September 2022