Single Digital Gateway

Municipality of Tiel: registering a divorce in the civil registry

Where you register your divorce depends on your situation.

If you got divorced in the Netherlands

Did you get married and divorced in the Netherlands? Then your lawyer will send the divorce decree to the civil registrar in the municipality where you got married. The registrar will then register your divorce.

Do you live in a municipality other than the one in which you got married? Then the registrar will inform your municipality of residence.

If you got divorced outside of the Netherlands

Did you get divorced outside of the Netherlands and you live in the Netherlands? Then you must have your divorce registered in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database). You do this at the municipality in which you are registered.

  • There is no further appeal against the divorce decree
  • both parties accept the decision of the divorce decree

  • the deed(s) of resignation


  • a statement from the clerk of the court showing that the judgment is irrevocable


  • an original copy of the judgment


  • a request for registration from one or both of the spouses

There is no fee for registering your divorce with the municipality. Do you need proof of your divorce? You pay costs for applying a divorce certificate.

Once the municipality has received the documents, it will register the divorce as soon as possible. The divorce becomes official as soon as the municipality registers it in the civil registry.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Tiel

Visiting address

Achterweg 2

4001MV Tiel

Opening hours
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 12:00
Last updated on 12 December 2022