Single Digital Gateway

Municipality of Stede Broec: registering a divorce in the civil registry

Where you register your divorce depends on your situation.

If you got divorced in the Netherlands

Did you get married and divorced in the Netherlands? Then your lawyer will send the divorce decree to the civil registrar to the municipality. 

After the judge approves the divorce you make an appointment. Call for an appointment to +31228 510 111.

If you got divorced outside of the Netherlands

Did you get divorced outside of the Netherlands and you live in the Netherlands? Then you must have your divorce registered in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database). You do this at the municipality in which you are registered.

The following documents are required at the appointment:

  • a written request for registration
  • proof (order) of the court's ruling.
  • Waiver of appeal, this means that you will not appeal against the judge's decision. 
  • Your valid ID.

There is no fee for registering your divorce with the municipality.

Once the municipality has received the documents, it will register the divorce within 3 business days. The divorce becomes official as soon as the municipality has received all of the required documents.


Contact details are not yet available for your municipality.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Public Information Service:

Open Monday to Friday from 8.00 to 20.00. 

More contact options

Also useful

Last updated on 21 November 2023