Single Digital Gateway

Municipality of Smallingerland: registering a divorce in the civil registry

Divorced in the Netherlands

Are you divorced in the Netherlands? Then your lawyer will send the divorce decree to the municipality where you got married. The municipality will then register your divorce. Do you live in a different municipality than where you got married? The municipality passes this on to your municipality of residence. 

Divorced abroad

Are you divorced abroad and do you live in the Netherlands? Then you must have your foreign divorce registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP). You can do this at the municipality where you are registered.

Registering your divorce with the municipality is free. Do you need proof of the divorce? A copy or extract of the divorce certificate costs the rate set by the government for a civil status extract.

Once the municipality has received the documents, it will register the divorce as soon as possible. The divorce becomes official as soon as the municipality registers it in the civil registry.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Smallingerland

Visiting address

Gauke Boelensstraat 2

9203RM Drachten

Opening hours
8:30 - 16:30
8:30 - 16:30
8:30 - 16:30
8:30 - 16:30
8:30 - 16:30
Last updated on 9 December 2022