Single Digital Gateway

Municipality of Rijssen-Holten: registering a divorce in the civil registry

Where you register your divorce depends on your situation.

If you got divorced in the Netherlands

Did you get married and divorced in the Netherlands? Then your lawyer will send the divorce decree to the civil registrar in the municipality where you got married. The registrar will then register your divorce.

Do you live in a municipality other than the one in which you got married? Then the registrar will inform your municipality of residence.

If you got divorced outside of the Netherlands

Did you get divorced outside of the Netherlands and you live in the Netherlands? Then you must have your divorce registered in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database). You do this at the municipality in which you are registered.

After the judge has pronounced the divorce, it must be registered with the municipality. Your lawyer can help you with this. 

  1. The lawyer sends the decision of the court to the municipality where you are married.
  2. The lawyer/mediator sends the following documents to the municipality:
    • a written request for registration in the register of civil status;
    • proof of the court's decision (the decision);
    • proof that you will not appeal against the judge's decision (the deed of resignation).

There is no fee for registering your divorce with the municipality. Do you need proof of your divorce? If so, an official copy of or excerpt from the divorce decree costs: € 16,60

Once the municipality has received the documents, it will register the divorce as soon as possible. The divorce becomes official as soon as the municipality registers it in the civil registry.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Rijssen-Holten

Last updated on 16 April 2024