Single Digital Gateway

Registering a divorce in the civil registry in the Netherlands

Has a judge has agreed to your divorce (echtscheiding)? Then you and your partner will be sent a copy of the final order (echtscheidingsbeschikking). When does your divorce become final? Once you have registered the final order in the municipality’s civil registry (burgerlijke stand van de gemeente).

You can register the final order in the Register of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships (burgerlijke stand van de gemeente). Do this at the municipality where you were married. This must be done within 6 months of the court ruling. When you have done this you are legally divorced.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.


Where you register your divorce depends on the country where you are divorced.

Divorced in the Netherlands

Are you divorced in the Netherlands? Then your lawyer will send the divorce decision to the municipality where you were married. 

The municipality will then register your divorce. Do you live in a different municipality than where you got married? The municipality will pass this on to your municipality of residence.

Divorced abroad

Are you divorced abroad and do you live in the Netherlands? Then you must register your foreign divorce in the Personal Records Database (BRP). You do this at the municipality where you are registered.

See the website for more information.

Registering your divorce with the municipality is free of charge. Do you need proof of the registration of the divorce? Then you can request a copy or extract of this. For this document you have to pay.

The municipality will register the divorce as soon as possible after the documents are received. If the municipality registers the divorce in the registry office, the divorce is official.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Nissewaard

Also useful

Last updated on 23 September 2022