Single Digital Gateway

Registering a divorce in the civil registry in the Netherlands

Has a judge has agreed to your divorce (echtscheiding)? Then you and your partner will be sent a copy of the final order (echtscheidingsbeschikking). When does your divorce become final? Once you have registered the final order in the municipality’s civil registry (burgerlijke stand van de gemeente).

You can register the final order in the Register of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships (burgerlijke stand van de gemeente). Do this at the municipality where you were married. This must be done within 6 months of the court ruling. When you have done this you are legally divorced.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Registering a divorce

Where you register your divorce depends on your situation.

If you got divorced in the Netherlands

Did you get married and divorced in the Netherlands? Then your lawyer will send the divorce decree to the civil registrar in the municipality where you got married. The registrar will then register your divorce.

Your lawyer must send the documents to: Gemeente Meerssen, Postbus 90, 6230 AB Meerssen.

Do you live in a municipality other than the one in which you got married? Then the registrar will inform your municipality of residence.

If you got divorced outside of the Netherlands

Did you get divorced outside of the Netherlands and you live in the Netherlands? Then you must have your divorce registered in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database). You do this at the municipality in which you are registered. For more information look at:

How to report a divorce:

  • You apply for a divorce from the court. You need a lawyer for this.
  • Your lawyer sends the court's decision to the municipality. You can also report this yourself to the municipality. Your former partner may also do this. You do this at the municipality where you were married.
  • You send the following documents to the municipality:
    • a written request for registration in the register of civil status
    • proof of the court's decision (the decision)
    • proof that you are not appealing against the judge's decision (the deeds of resignation)

There is no fee for registering your divorce with the municipality.

Once the municipality has received the documents, it will register the divorce as soon as possible. The divorce becomes official as soon as the municipality registers it in the civil registry.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Meerssen

Last updated on 23 September 2022