Single Digital Gateway

Registering a divorce in the civil registry in the Netherlands

Has a judge has agreed to your divorce (echtscheiding)? Then you and your partner will be sent a copy of the final order (echtscheidingsbeschikking). When does your divorce become final? Once you have registered the final order in the municipality’s civil registry (burgerlijke stand van de gemeente).

You can register the final order in the Register of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships (burgerlijke stand van de gemeente). Do this at the municipality where you were married. This must be done within 6 months of the court ruling. When you have done this you are legally divorced.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Registering a divorce in the civil registry in the Netherlands

Your lawyer applies for a divorce from the Court. Your lawyer will send the court decision to the municipality where you were married at the time. As soon as the municipality records the divorce in the Civil Registry, the divorce is official.

Termination of partnership
You can terminate your registered partnership in 2 ways. Through the intervention of a judge or by a lawyer or notary. You can only go through a lawyer or notary if you have no minor children together and if you both agree that you want to dissolve the partnership. As soon as the municipality has recorded the court decision or the termination agreement in the Civil Registry, your partnership is definitively terminated. You must always report the termination of your partnership in the municipality where your partnership is registered. If that is the municipality of Laarbeek, make an appointment for this. You can do this by telephone on 0492 469 700.

What you need
When registering for a divorce

A written request for registration in the register of the Civil Registry.
Evidence of the Court's decision (the decision).
Evidence that you are not appealing against the judge's decision (deeds of resignation).
When registering a termination of partnership

A termination agreement drawn up by the civil-law notary or lawyer.
Upon termination by a judge; see divorce.

There is no fee for registering your divorce with the municipality. Do you need proof of your divorce? If so, an official copy of or excerpt from the divorce decree costs: € 

You pay a fee for this service. For more information, contact the municipality .

The termination must be reported in the municipality where you got married or where your partnership is registered. Did your marriage or partnership take place abroad? In that case, the termination must be communicated to the municipality of The Hague.
The divorce or termination of partnership is only official after registration in the Civil Registry.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Laarbeek

Last updated on 23 September 2022