Single Digital Gateway

Registering a divorce in the civil registry in the Netherlands

Has a judge has agreed to your divorce (echtscheiding)? Then you and your partner will be sent a copy of the final order (echtscheidingsbeschikking). When does your divorce become final? Once you have registered the final order in the municipality’s civil registry (burgerlijke stand van de gemeente).

You can register the final order in the Register of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships (burgerlijke stand van de gemeente). Do this at the municipality where you were married. This must be done within 6 months of the court ruling. When you have done this you are legally divorced.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.


Where you register your divorce depends on your situation.

If you got divorced in the Netherlands

Did you get married and divorced in the Netherlands? Then your lawyer will send the divorce decree to the civil registrar in the municipality where you got married. The registrar will then register your divorce.

Do you live in a municipality other than the one in which you got married? Then the registrar will inform your municipality of residence.

If you got divorced outside of the Netherlands

Did you get divorced outside of the Netherlands and you live in the Netherlands? Then you must have your divorce registered in the Basisregistratie Personen – BRP (Personal Records Database). You do this at the municipality in which you are registered.

You can arrange the application for a divorce with your lawyer or civil-law notary.

End of marriage (Divorce)

You ask a lawyer to take your request for divorce to court.
Your lawyer registers the divorce with the municipality. After this, the divorce is final.
End of registered partnership with children
Dissolution of your registered partnership by the court is done in the same way as a divorce.

End of registered partnership without children

You ask a civil-law notary or lawyer to terminate your registered partnership.
Your lawyer can register the termination with the municipality. After this, the termination is final.

Do you need proof of your divorce? Then you can request written proof of this. You will get a copy of the certificate in Dutch or a multiple-language (international) extract.

Once the municipality has received the documents, it will register the divorce as soon as possible. The divorce becomes official as soon as the municipality registers it in the civil registry.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Hoorn

Last updated on 23 September 2022