Single Digital Gateway

Registering a death in the Netherlands

Would you like to report the death of a loved one or someone else? Usually the funeral director will declare the death, but you can also do this yourself. This should be done at the municipality where your loved one died.

When you go to the municipality to register a death, you will need to bring the death statement (verklaring van overlijden) with you. This will be given to you by the doctor who confirmed the death. The death statement is made up of 2 parts: the A-verklaring where the death is officially declared and the B-verklaring which states the cause of death.

After a death has been registered, the Registrar of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships (ambtenaar van de burgerlijke stand) issues the death certificate (Akte van overlijden). The personal details of the deceased appear on the certificate, as well as the name of the informant. It is possible to obtain an excerpt of the certificate.

After issuing the death certificate, the municipality amends the information held on the deceased in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP).

The municipality also issues a document in which it gives permission for the funeral: either the authorisation for burial (verlof tot begraven) or the authorisation for cremation (verlof tot cremeren).

Did the deceased indicate that they wanted to donate their body to science? Then you will be issued a authorisation for dissection (verlof tot ontleding).

You must register a death within 6 working days, and always before the funeral.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Registering a Death

Deaths must be registered in the municipality where the person died. This is mandatory. It is usually the funeral director who registers the death. Relatives can also do it themselves.

When a death occurs, you will receive two envelopes from the general practitioner:

A declaration of natural death and a sealed green envelope for the Central Bureau of Statistics (CBS). In the event of an unnatural death, the declaration of death is issued by the coroner.

You must hand both envelopes over to the civil registrar who draws up the death certificate and issues the authorisation for burial/cremation. Bring your proof of identity with you.

The civil registrar also needs the details for the funeral, such as the date of the funeral, place of the funeral and whether it will be a cremation or a burial.

In the case of an unnatural death, the municipality also requires a statement of no objection for the burial or cremation. (Issued by the Public Prosecutor).

If there was a marriage booklet, the civil registrar can add the death of the person concerned to the marriage booklet.

If the burial or cremation has to be delayed or if the deceased had let it be known that they wished to give their body to science, please contact the Department of Public Affairs.

Deaths must be registered in the municipality where the person died. This is mandatory. It is usually the funeral director who registers the death. Relatives can also do it themselves with our online form (log in with eRecognition).

There are no costs involved in registering a death.

The municipality draws up 2 documents and gives these to the declarant:

  • A document containing the funeral authorisation ('the authorisation for burial' or the 'authorisation for cremation'). Did the deceased let it be known that they wanted their body to be donated to science? Then the declarant will be given a document granting 'authorisation for dissection';
  • An extract from the death certificate.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Montferland

Last updated on 23 September 2022