Single Digital Gateway

Registering a death in the Netherlands

Would you like to report the death of a loved one or someone else? Usually the funeral director will declare the death, but you can also do this yourself. This should be done at the municipality where your loved one died.

When you go to the municipality to register a death, you will need to bring the death statement (verklaring van overlijden) with you. This will be given to you by the doctor who confirmed the death. The death statement is made up of 2 parts: the A-verklaring where the death is officially declared and the B-verklaring which states the cause of death.

After a death has been registered, the Registrar of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships (ambtenaar van de burgerlijke stand) issues the death certificate (Akte van overlijden). The personal details of the deceased appear on the certificate, as well as the name of the informant. It is possible to obtain an excerpt of the certificate.

After issuing the death certificate, the municipality amends the information held on the deceased in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP).

The municipality also issues a document in which it gives permission for the funeral: either the authorisation for burial (verlof tot begraven) or the authorisation for cremation (verlof tot cremeren).

Did the deceased indicate that they wanted to donate their body to science? Then you will be issued a authorisation for dissection (verlof tot ontleding).

You must register a death within 6 working days, and always before the funeral.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Registering a death in the Netherlands

The funeral director or you file the declaration with the municipality. Do this within 6 days of death. A funeral or cremation must take place no later than the 6th working day after the death. 

The municipality then prepares 2 documents and gives them to you:

  • a document in which she gives permission for the funeral (the 'leave for burial' or the 'leave for cremation'). Has the deceased indicated that he or she wants to donate the body to science? Then you will receive a document with the 'leave for dissection'. 
  • a copy of the death certificate.

  • B-envelope containing the doctor's form about the cause of death 
  • your valid ID 
  • if a postponement of the cremation or burial is necessary: 
  • ​​a permit for this possibly your marriage certificate

If the deceased died naturally, you should also bring:

  • certificate of natural death (from a medical examiner)

If the deceased did not die naturally, you should also bring:

  • certificate of non-natural death (from a medical examiner) 
  • declaration of no objection for the funeral or cremation (from the public prosecutor)

If someone has died, you must report this to the municipality where the person died. The municipality processes the death of this person in the registry office and the Personal Records Database (BRP). Declaration is mandatory. Usually the funeral director does this. As a next of kin, you can also do this yourself.

Extract of civil status: € 16.60
Leave to postpone burial or cremation: €26.25

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Midden-Delfland

Visiting address

Anna van Raesfeltstraat 37

2636HX Schipluiden

Opening hours
Last updated on 23 September 2022