Single Digital Gateway

Registering a death in the Netherlands

Would you like to report the death of a loved one or someone else? Usually the funeral director will declare the death, but you can also do this yourself. This should be done at the municipality where your loved one died.

When you go to the municipality to register a death, you will need to bring the death statement (verklaring van overlijden) with you. This will be given to you by the doctor who confirmed the death. The death statement is made up of 2 parts: the A-verklaring where the death is officially declared and the B-verklaring which states the cause of death.

After a death has been registered, the Registrar of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Civil Partnerships (ambtenaar van de burgerlijke stand) issues the death certificate (Akte van overlijden). The personal details of the deceased appear on the certificate, as well as the name of the informant. It is possible to obtain an excerpt of the certificate.

After issuing the death certificate, the municipality amends the information held on the deceased in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen – BRP).

The municipality also issues a document in which it gives permission for the funeral: either the authorisation for burial (verlof tot begraven) or the authorisation for cremation (verlof tot cremeren).

Did the deceased indicate that they wanted to donate their body to science? Then you will be issued a authorisation for dissection (verlof tot ontleding).

You must register a death within 6 working days, and always before the funeral.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Declaration of death

Aangifte van overlijden moet worden gedaan in de gemeente waar de persoon is overleden.

Overlijdt iemand in het buitenland dan moeten de nabestaanden dit zo snel mogelijk melden bij de gemeente waar de overledene het laatst woonde. Zodra de officiële stukken uit het buitenland beschikbaar zijn, stuurt u die alsnog naar de gemeente. Vaak moeten deze documenten aan speciale voorwaarden voldoen. Neem daarom vooraf contact op met de gemeente.

Ga voor meer informatie over aangifte overlijden, kosten en aanvragen naar de website van gemeente Bernheze via onderstaande link.

Op de website van de Rijksoverheid vindt u meer informatie over een uitvaart bij overlijden in het buitenland.

Declaration of death can be done by a funeral director (digitally). Residents can make the declaration in person at the town hall. You must make an appointment to do so.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Bernheze

Visiting address

De Misse 6

5384ZG Heesch

Opening hours
Last updated on 23 September 2022