Do you want to form a civil partnership? If so, you must first notify the municipality. You must do this at least 2 weeks and a maximum of 1 year before you want to form the civil partnership.
The registration of a civil partnership is subject to a number of conditions (in Dutch), such as:
- you must be at least 18 years of age;
- you cannot enter into a civil partnership with someone who is already married or in a civil partnership
- you cannot be related to one other, e.g. grandparent, grandchild, parent, child or sibling.
Do you want to enter a civil partnership in the Netherlands with a foreign citizen? There are other conditions that must be met.
This is how it works for you
Here is some information from your municipality.
Marriage and registration partnership
You make a number of choices when planning and registering your intention to enter a civil partnership. These choices relate to the type of ceremony and the venue. The costs depend on your wishes and the possibilities in the municipality.
The ceremony is the official part of entering your civil partnership. You can choose from:
- no ceremony (free of charge);
- simple ceremony;
- elaborate ceremony.
If you choose an elaborate ceremony, you can choose who leads the ceremony. You can choose from:
- wedding registrar from the municipality;
- family member or acquaintance.
If you choose a wedding registrar from the municipality, a registrar from the municipality will contact you a few weeks before the planned date to introduce themselves and find out more about you and your partner.
Do you want a family member or an someone you know to conduct the ceremony? If so, you must contact the municipality yourself.
Location of the ceremony
You can hold the ceremony to enter your civil partnership at various locations in the municipality. You can choose from:
- a municipal building;
- a location of your own choice.
If you want to hold the ceremony at a location of your choice, contact the municipality.
- you are 18 years or older
- you were born in the Netherlands
- you have been living in the Netherlands since the age of 18
- you are a citizen of the European Union.
- were you born abroad and/or were you married abroad? Then we need additional information from you. Please use the contact form to ask if we will call you.
- you fill in the proposed marriage or partnership registration form (pdf, 105 kB) and send it by post to the Municipality of Dordrecht, Stadswinkel Department, PO Box 8, 3300 AA Dordrecht
- do you not meet the conditions or do you want to get married for free or register a partnership for free? Then make an appointment
- do you already know on what date and where you would like to get married or register your partnership? Complete the Location and date of marriage or partnership registration form in full. You will hear from the Stadswinkel within 5 working days whether your application has been approved
You pay a fee for this service. For more information, contact the municipality.
Contact details are not yet available for your municipality.
Questions about this topic?
Contact the Public Information Service