Single Digital Gateway

Registering a civil partnership in the Netherlands

Do you want to form a civil partnership? If so, you must first notify the municipality. You must do this at least 2 weeks and a maximum of 1 year before you want to form the civil partnership.

The registration of a civil partnership is subject to a number of conditions (in Dutch), such as: 

  • you must be at least 18 years of age; 
  • you cannot enter into a civil partnership with someone who is already married or in a civil partnership
  • you cannot be related to one other, e.g. grandparent, grandchild, parent, child or sibling. 

Do you want to enter a civil partnership in the Netherlands with a foreign citizen? There are other conditions that must be met.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Getting married or registering a civil partnership

You make a number of choices when planning and registering your intention to enter a civil partnership. These choices relate to the type of ceremony and the venue. The costs depend on your wishes and the possibilities in the municipality of Winterswijk.


The ceremony is the official part of entering your civil partnership. You can choose from:

  • registered partnership free of charge;
  • elaborate ceremony;
  • no ceremony (flash partnership).

If you opt for an elaborate ceremony, a wedding registrar from the municipality leads the ceremony. The wedding registrar of the municipality of Winterswijk  will contact you a few weeks before the scheduled date to get to know you. If you have a preference for a wedding registrar, please inform the municipality.

Do you want a family member or an someone you know to conduct the ceremony? That is only possible if that person is a wedding registrar. Please contact the municipality.

Location of the ceremony

You can hold the ceremony to enter your civil partnership at various locations in the municipality of Winterswijk. You can choose from:

  • a municipal building;
  • a location of your own choice.

If you want to hold the ceremony at a location of your choice, contact the municipality.

Registering an intended civil partnership

You register your intended civil partnership with the municipality in which you wish to enter the civil partnership. Provide the details of yourself, your partner and your witnesses. This can be done up to 2 weeks before the ceremony date.

You pay a fee for this service. For more information, contact the municipality via of +31 543 543 543. Or visit

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Winterswijk

Visiting address

Stationsstraat 25

7101GH Winterswijk

Opening hours
9.00 - 20.00
9.00 - 17.00
9.00 - 17.00
9.00 - 17.00
9.00 - 13.00
Last updated on 21 September 2022