Single Digital Gateway

Registering a civil partnership in the Netherlands

Do you want to form a civil partnership? If so, you must first notify the municipality. You must do this at least 2 weeks and a maximum of 1 year before you want to form the civil partnership.

The registration of a civil partnership is subject to a number of conditions (in Dutch), such as: 

  • you must be at least 18 years of age; 
  • you cannot enter into a civil partnership with someone who is already married or in a civil partnership
  • you cannot be related to one other, e.g. grandparent, grandchild, parent, child or sibling. 

Do you want to enter a civil partnership in the Netherlands with a foreign citizen? There are other conditions that must be met.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Registering a civil partnership in the Netherlands

To make your relationship official, you can get married or enter into a civilpartnership. In both cases, you must first report an intended marriage or intended partnership. That used to be called 'betrothal'.

  • Your DigiD username and password. 
  • Your telephone number and email address. 
  • A digital file of your passport, identity card and/or residence permit. 
  • A digital file of your witnesses' ID. 
  • The personal data of your parent(s), any previous marriage partner(s) and minor children. You can also find this information on

You register your intended civil partnership with the municipality in which you wish to enter the civil partnership. The period between the notification and the civil partnership must be at least 14 days  before the ceremony date. The maximum period is 1 year.

The notification of an intended civil partnership is free of charge.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Utrecht

Visiting address

Stadsplateau 1

3521AZ Utrecht

Opening hours
Last updated on 21 September 2022