Single Digital Gateway

Registering a civil partnership in the Netherlands

Do you want to form a civil partnership? If so, you must first notify the municipality. You must do this at least 2 weeks and a maximum of 1 year before you want to form the civil partnership.

The registration of a civil partnership is subject to a number of conditions (in Dutch), such as: 

  • you must be at least 18 years of age; 
  • you cannot enter into a civil partnership with someone who is already married or in a civil partnership
  • you cannot be related to one other, e.g. grandparent, grandchild, parent, child or sibling. 

Do you want to enter a civil partnership in the Netherlands with a foreign citizen? There are other conditions that must be met.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Registering a civil partnership in the Netherlands

You make a number of choices when planning and registering your intention to enter a civil partnership. These choices relate to the type of ceremony and the venue. The costs depend on your wishes and the possibilities in the municipality of Rotterdam.


The ceremony is the official part of entering your civil partnership. You can choose from:

  • no ceremony (free of charge)
  • simple ceremony (€ 174.30)
  • elaborate ceremony (costs depend on chosen location)

If you choose an elaborate ceremony, you can choose who leads the ceremony. You can choose from:

  • wedding registrar from the municipality
  • family member or acquaintance

If you choose a wedding registrar from the municipality, a registrar from the municipality of Rotterdam will contact you a few weeks before the planned date to introduce themselves and find out more about you and your partner.

Do you want a family member or an someone you know to conduct the ceremony? If so, you must contact the municipality yourself.

Location of the ceremony

You can hold the ceremony to enter your civil partnership at various locations in the municipality of Rotterdam. You can choose from:

  • a municipal building
  • a location of your own choice

You inform the municipality about your chosen location when you register your intended civil partnership.

If you are from outside the Netherlands, the municipality will need additional information. Contact the municipality to provide that information.

Registering an intended civil partnership

You register your intended civil partnership with the municipality in which you wish to enter the civil partnership. Provide the details of yourself, your partner and your witnesses. You can do it online or by sending an e-mail. The municipality will contact you within 10 working days to make an appointment for a videocall.


Use your DigiD. Doesn't your partner have DigiD? Then you cannot register online.

By e-mail

Send an e-mail to with the following information:

  • names of you and your partner
  • nationality of you and your partner
  • residence of you and your partner

You pay a fee for this service. For more information, visit our website: Huwelijk of partnerschap melden.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Rotterdam

Last updated on 21 September 2022