Single Digital Gateway

Registering a civil partnership in the Netherlands

Do you want to form a civil partnership? If so, you must first notify the municipality. You must do this at least 2 weeks and a maximum of 1 year before you want to form the civil partnership.

The registration of a civil partnership is subject to a number of conditions (in Dutch), such as: 

  • you must be at least 18 years of age; 
  • you cannot enter into a civil partnership with someone who is already married or in a civil partnership
  • you cannot be related to one other, e.g. grandparent, grandchild, parent, child or sibling. 

Do you want to enter a civil partnership in the Netherlands with a foreign citizen? There are other conditions that must be met.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Getting married or entering into a registered partnership

You make a number of choices when planning and registering your intention to enter a civil partnership. These choices relate to the type of ceremony and the venue. The costs depend on your wishes and the possibilities in the municipality of Rijssen-Holten.


The ceremony is the official part of entering your civil partnership. You can choose from:

  • no ceremony (free of charge);
  • simple ceremony;
  • elaborate ceremony.

If you choose an elaborate ceremony, you can choose who leads the ceremony. You can choose from:

  • wedding registrar from the municipality;
  • family member or acquaintance.

If you choose a wedding registrar from the municipality, a registrar from the municipality of Rijssen-Holten will contact you a few weeks before the planned date to introduce themselves and find out more about you and your partner.

Do you want a family member or an someone you know to conduct the ceremony? If so, you must contact the municipality yourself.

Location of the ceremony

You can hold the ceremony to enter your civil partnership at various locations in the municipality of Rijssen-Holten. You can choose from:

  • a municipal building;
  • a location of your own choice.

If you want to hold the ceremony at a location of your choice, contact the municipality.

The conditions for entering into a registered partnership are:

  • You are 18 years or older.
  • You are not married to anyone else.
  • You do not have a registered partnership with someone else.
  • You are not too closely related to your partner. This means that your partner may not be, for example: your father, (grand) daughter, grandfather or (half) sister.
  • You are not under guardianship. If you are placed under guardianship, you need permission from the bankruptcy trustee or subdistrict court judge.

The municipality checks whether you are allowed to enter into a registered partnership.

  • a valid identity document for you and your partner;
  • a copy of the identity documents of your witnesses.

If you are from outside the Netherlands, the municipality will need additional information. Contact the municipality to provide that information.

Registering an intended civil partnership

You register your intended civil partnership with the municipality in which you wish to enter the civil partnership. Provide the details of yourself, your partner and your witnesses. This can be done up to 2 weeks before the ceremony date. You can do it online or at the town hall.

Contact the municipality

The following rates apply for getting married or entering into a registered partnership:

Town Hall, Monday to Friday€ 501,-
Town Hall, Saturday€ 747,-
Other locations, Monday to Friday€ 419,-
Other locations, Saturday€ 665,-

You also pay the costs for the marriage or partnership booklet:

Standard€ 42.20
Luxury€ 50,-

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Rijssen-Holten

Last updated on 21 September 2022