Single Digital Gateway

Registering a civil partnership in the Netherlands

Do you want to form a civil partnership? If so, you must first notify the municipality. You must do this at least 2 weeks and a maximum of 1 year before you want to form the civil partnership.

The registration of a civil partnership is subject to a number of conditions (in Dutch), such as: 

  • you must be at least 18 years of age; 
  • you cannot enter into a civil partnership with someone who is already married or in a civil partnership
  • you cannot be related to one other, e.g. grandparent, grandchild, parent, child or sibling. 

Do you want to enter a civil partnership in the Netherlands with a foreign citizen? There are other conditions that must be met.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Registering a civil partnership

You and your partner want to formally arrange your relationship, which can be done by getting married or by entering into a registered partnership. These are the differences and similarities between the two forms.


  • A partnership is not recognized in all countries in the world. 
  • A marriage is always recognized. 
  • A partnership may be ordained by a clergyman before the legal consummation. 
  • A marriage may be blessed by a clergyman after the legal solemnization.
  • A partnership does not have to be terminated by the court if you do not have minor children. This form of termination is not accepted abroad. 
  • A marriage can only be dissolved in court through divorce.


  • You have the same rights and obligations with both forms. 
  • In both forms you have joint custody of the children born during the union. 
  • You need 2, 3 or 4 witnesses at the ceremony for both forms. 
  • In both forms you report the intended ceremony to the municipality. 
  • You must meet the same conditions for both forms. You submit the same documents for both forms. 
  • You can contract in either form if you are partners of the same sex. 
  • You can have your name changed for both forms.

  • You are both 18 years of age or older; 
  • You are not already married or do not yet have a registered partnership (anywhere in the world); 
  • You are not an immediate family. Siblings (including through adoption) cannot marry each other. This also applies to parents and children, grandparents and grandchildren. Cousins may only marry after an affidavit that they consent to the marriage of their own free will; 
  • You are not forced to marry or enter into a partnership; 
  • You need permission from the trustee or court if you are placed under guardianship.

These details also apply to a registered partnership. 

  • You can only get married on whole and half hours. 
  • You can pay the costs during the notification of intended marriage. 
  • You can also choose to have an invoice sent to your home, which you will receive shortly after reporting the intended marriage. 
  • Would you like to get married at a different time than indicated when getting married with a ceremony? Request your date and time in writing via KCC@ A surcharge applies for this. D
  • Do you not want to get married at a location that has been designated as a wedding location by the municipality? Have your own location named once. A surcharge applies for this. 
  • Do you not want to be married by one of our wedding officers? Have someone appointed as a wedding officiant once. A surcharge applies for this

  • Marriage or partnership without ceremony: free, only on Mondays at 9am and 9.30am 
  • Marriage or partnership with ceremony: € 495.45, Monday to Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. 
  • Conversion from partnership to marriage: € 495.45, Monday to Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. 
  • Surcharge for another time, weekend or public holiday: € 92.10 only with ceremony
  • Surcharge for one-time location: € 233.10, only with ceremony 
  • Surcharge for one-time wedding official: € 81.60, only with ceremony 
  • Marriage certificate: € 47.85 
  • Municipal witness: € 26.25, price per witness, only with a free marriage and free partnership 
  • Copy of civil status: € 14.30 
  • Cancellation of marriage, partnership or conversion: € 209.85, this also applies to a booked free marriage and free partnership

(Fees from the 2022 rate table, subject to price changes)

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Midden-Delfland

Visiting address

Anna van Raesfeltstraat 37

2636HX Schipluiden

Opening hours
Last updated on 21 September 2022