Single Digital Gateway

Registering a civil partnership in the Netherlands

Do you want to form a civil partnership? If so, you must first notify the municipality. You must do this at least 2 weeks and a maximum of 1 year before you want to form the civil partnership.

The registration of a civil partnership is subject to a number of conditions (in Dutch), such as: 

  • you must be at least 18 years of age; 
  • you cannot enter into a civil partnership with someone who is already married or in a civil partnership
  • you cannot be related to one other, e.g. grandparent, grandchild, parent, child or sibling. 

Do you want to enter a civil partnership in the Netherlands with a foreign citizen? There are other conditions that must be met.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Registered partnership

Do you want to enter into a registered partnership? Then you must first report this to the municipality, at least 2 weeks in advance.

  • Valid ID for you and your partner
  • Copy of your witnesses' valid IDs

You must first report a registered partnership by telephone on 14 0182. This must be done at least 14 days in advance. Together with the municipality you will discuss, among other things:

  • the date
  • the location
  • which official you want
  • your witnesses
  • the costs

You pay costs for the application for a registered partnership. For more information, please contact the municipality.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Krimpenerwaard

Visiting address

Dorpsplein 8

2821AS Stolwijk

Opening hours
8.30 - 17.00
8.30 - 17.00
8.30 - 17.00
8.30 - 16.00
17.00 - 20.00
8.30 - 17.00
Last updated on 21 September 2022