Single Digital Gateway

Registering a civil partnership in the Netherlands

Do you want to form a civil partnership? If so, you must first notify the municipality. You must do this at least 2 weeks and a maximum of 1 year before you want to form the civil partnership.

The registration of a civil partnership is subject to a number of conditions (in Dutch), such as: 

  • you must be at least 18 years of age; 
  • you cannot enter into a civil partnership with someone who is already married or in a civil partnership
  • you cannot be related to one other, e.g. grandparent, grandchild, parent, child or sibling. 

Do you want to enter a civil partnership in the Netherlands with a foreign citizen? There are other conditions that must be met.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Announce marriage or registered partnership

You make a number of choices when planning and registering your intention to enter a civil partnership. These choices relate to the type of ceremony and the venue. The costs depend on your wishes and the possibilities in the municipality of Eindhoven.


The ceremony is the official part of entering your civil partnership. You can choose from:

  • no ceremony (free of charge);
  • simple ceremony;
  • elaborate ceremony.

If you choose an elaborate ceremony, you can choose who leads the ceremony. You can choose from:

  • wedding registrar from the municipality of Eindhoven;
  • wedding registrar from another municipality;
  • family member or acquaintance.

If you choose a wedding registrar from the municipality, a registrar from the municipality of Eindhoven will contact you a few weeks before the planned date to introduce themselves and find out more about you and your partner.

Do you want a family member or someone you know to conduct the ceremony? Or do you want a wedding registrar from another municipality to conduct it? If so, you must contact the municipality yourself by calling +31 40 238 6000

Location of the ceremony

You can hold the ceremony to enter your civil partnership at various locations in the municipality of Eindhoven. You can choose from:

  • a municipal building;
  • a location of your own choice.

If you want to hold the ceremony at a location of your choice, contact the municipality by calling +31 40 238 6000

You need:

  • DigiD of both partners;
  • Your preferred date and time;
  • Your preferred ceremony;
  • Your preferred location; 
  • Your preferred wedding official (wedding registrar);
  • Names of your witnesses and copies of their ID;
  • Your payment details.

Registering an intended civil partnership

You register your intended civil partnership with the municipality in which you wish to enter the civil partnership. Provide the details of yourself, your partner and your witnesses. This can be done up to 2 weeks before the ceremony date. You can do it online or at the Residents' Square (Inwonersplein).

Online: Login (

Make an appointment: Een afspraak maken | Gemeente Eindhoven (

Call us: +31 40 238 6000

You pay a fee for this service. For more information, please go to Choose the type of marriage or partnership | Eindhoven municipality

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Eindhoven

Last updated on 21 September 2022