Single Digital Gateway

Registering a civil partnership in the Netherlands

Do you want to form a civil partnership? If so, you must first notify the municipality. You must do this at least 2 weeks and a maximum of 1 year before you want to form the civil partnership.

The registration of a civil partnership is subject to a number of conditions (in Dutch), such as: 

  • you must be at least 18 years of age; 
  • you cannot enter into a civil partnership with someone who is already married or in a civil partnership
  • you cannot be related to one other, e.g. grandparent, grandchild, parent, child or sibling. 

Do you want to enter a civil partnership in the Netherlands with a foreign citizen? There are other conditions that must be met.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of De Wolden: Registering a civil partnership

You make a number of choices when planning and registering your intention to enter a civil partnership. These choices relate to the type of ceremony and the venue. The costs depend on your wishes and the possibilities in the municipality of De Wolden.


The ceremony is the official part of entering your civil partnership. You can choose from:

  • no ceremony (free of charge);
  • modest ceremony;
  • elaborate ceremony.

If you choose an elaborate ceremony, you can choose which wedding officiant is going to lead the ceremony.

Location of the ceremony

You can pick where the ceremony is going to take place. The ceremony can be held at the municipality, but you can also request to have the ceremony at your house, at a restaurant or some other venue. Before making such requests please be aware that any applicable permits must be arranged before requesting to hold a ceremony in a venue of your choice.

  • You can not be forced into marriage.
  • Are you under guardianship? You will need permission from the guardian or a cantonal judge.
  • Were you born abroad? have you lived abroad? Are you not in possession of the Dutch nationality? Are you living abroad, but would you like to get married in the Netherlands? Depending on your personal circumstances you and your partner might need different documents. If this is the case then please contact us:  +31528378200 of
  • For a marriage or civil partnership to be valid there has to be a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 4 witnesses. Anyone above the age of 18 can be a witness. Have you picked your witnesses? You can enclose a copy of their IDs along with the marriage and civil partnership form.

  • The form notice of intended marriage or civil partnership or "melding voorgenomen huwelijk of geregistreerd partnerschap"
  • Are you or your partner in possession of a nationality that is outside of the European Union? Or a temporary residence permit? And do you wish to live in the Netherlands after you have married? Then please make sure to add the form notice of intended marriage residency rights or the form notice of intended civil partnership residency rights.
  • Copy of valid proof of identity (ID-card, passport or a driver's license) of you and your partner.
  • Copy of valid proof of identity of your witnesses (minimum of 2 and a maximum of 4). Anyone above 18 years of age is allowed to be a witness.

You apply for a civil partnership at the municipality where you wish to complete your partnership. You can book an appointment for this by calling the municipality of the Wolden: +31528378200.

Notifying the municipality of your intent to enter civil partnership is free of charge. For more information contact the municipality:  +31528378200 of

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of De Wolden

Visiting address

Raadhuisstraat 2

7921GD Zuidwolde

Opening hours
8:30 - 13:30
8:30 - 13:30
8:30 - 16:00
18:00 - 20:00
8:30 - 13:30
8:30 - 13:30
Last updated on 21 September 2022