Single Digital Gateway

Registering a civil partnership in the Netherlands

Do you want to form a civil partnership? If so, you must first notify the municipality. You must do this at least 2 weeks and a maximum of 1 year before you want to form the civil partnership.

The registration of a civil partnership is subject to a number of conditions (in Dutch), such as: 

  • you must be at least 18 years of age; 
  • you cannot enter into a civil partnership with someone who is already married or in a civil partnership
  • you cannot be related to one other, e.g. grandparent, grandchild, parent, child or sibling. 

Do you want to enter a civil partnership in the Netherlands with a foreign citizen? There are other conditions that must be met.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Marriage and registered partnership

You and your partner want to get married or enter into a registered partnership. Report your plans to the municipality where the ceremony takes place. You can submit your report online. This is possible from one year before the wedding or partnership date.

Marriage or registered partnership

Marriage and registered partnership are equal before the law. Key difference: Registered partnership is not recognized in all countries. The procedure, costs and facilities of the municipality are the same as for a wedding. You go through the same steps.

Apply for foreign documents

Were you born, married, divorced or lived abroad? You may need documents from abroad before you can enter into a marriage or registered partnership. If you are registered in the Netherlands with only a passport, you still have to hand in your birth certificate. Have you been registered in the Netherlands for less than a year? In that case, hand in a declaration of unmarried status in addition to the birth certificate.

You can request a declaration of unmarried status from the municipality of the country where you were last registered. It shows that you are not married and do not have a registered partnership. It sometimes takes a lot of time to get the right documents to the Netherlands. We can inform you which documents you need and which conditions they must meet. For example, you sometimes have to have the documents legalized. 

You can read more about this on the website of the Dutch government. If the documents are not drawn up in Dutch, English, German or French, a translation by a sworn translator in the Netherlands is also required.

Contact the municipality from Monday to Friday between 09:00 - 17:00 at the following phone number: 00 31 33 469 51 11.

You pay a fee for this service. For more information, contact the municipality from Monday to Friday between 09:00 - 17:00 at the following phone number: 00 31 33 469 51 11.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Amersfoort

Visiting address

Stadhuisplein 1

3811LM Amersfoort

Opening hours
9:00 - 16:30
9:00 - 16:30
9:00 - 16:30
9:00 - 16:30
17.00 - 20.00
9:00 - 16:30
Last updated on 21 September 2022