Single Digital Gateway

Paying the waste collection charge

You must pay the waste collection charge (afvalstoffenheffing) for the collection and processing of your household waste. The waste collection charge is part of the municipal taxes (gemeentelijke belastingen) and is billed by your municipality.

Municipalities calculate the amount of the waste collection charge in different ways. Some municipalities calculate the amount of the waste collection charge based of the size of your household. The larger your household, the more you pay. Other municipalities calculate the charge based on the amount of waste collected.

The waste collection charge is included in the municipal tax bill. This is usually sent out in the first 2 weeks of February.

Apply for an exemption on paying municipal taxes

Are you unable to pay your municipal taxes? Then ask your municipality for an exemption. You can be granted an exemption from paying part of the taxes, or all of the taxes. The municipality decides for which taxes you can be exempt from paying. It also determines whether you are eligible for an exemption.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Westerwolde: Paying the waste collection charge

If you are a residential user and have a waste container, you are charged waste collection fees.

Your waste collection fee consists of a fixed component and an amount for emptying your container. This is called pay-as-you-throw (PAYT).


Are you interested in knowing the rates? Please contact us:  Phone: +31 599 32 02 20 or e-mail:

Waste collection fee by letter

You will receive a letter from the municipality indicating the amount of waste collection fee you are obliged to pay. In the letter is also detailed how to pay and by what date.

Pay in time

Make sure to pay in time. Otherwise, you will have to pay a fine.


You may ask the municipality to waive part of the levy This is called remission. Whether you are entitled to relief depends on your personal situation. You can apply for remission through the Noordelijk Belastingkantoor.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Westerwolde

Last updated on 22 September 2022