Single Digital Gateway

Paying the waste collection charge

You must pay the waste collection charge (afvalstoffenheffing) for the collection and processing of your household waste. The waste collection charge is part of the municipal taxes (gemeentelijke belastingen) and is billed by your municipality.

Municipalities calculate the amount of the waste collection charge in different ways. Some municipalities calculate the amount of the waste collection charge based of the size of your household. The larger your household, the more you pay. Other municipalities calculate the charge based on the amount of waste collected.

The waste collection charge is included in the municipal tax bill. This is usually sent out in the first 2 weeks of February.

Apply for an exemption on paying municipal taxes

Are you unable to pay your municipal taxes? Then ask your municipality for an exemption. You can be granted an exemption from paying part of the taxes, or all of the taxes. The municipality decides for which taxes you can be exempt from paying. It also determines whether you are eligible for an exemption.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

waste taxes

Please note. You only pay afvalstoffenheffing (waste disposal charges) if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

Every year, every household receives a tax bill from GBTwente, including the waste levy. This waste levy consists of two parts, a fixed part and a variable part. The fixed part applies to the current year and the variable part applies to the number of offers of residual waste from the previous year. To calculate how much you pay, we look at the type and size of the residual container. If you have an extra residual container in use, you also pay for the emptying. If you have an extra GFT container in use, you pay a fixed amount per year for this.

From 2022, residents of an apartment and flat will also be able to collect their waste separately, just like residents of a house with a garden. This means that GFE (vegetables – fruit – food scraps) no longer has to go with the residual waste. Residents of a house with a garden have been able to collect organic waste (vegetable – fruit – garden) separately for some time now. As a resident, you thereby contribute to reducing the amount of residual waste. You do not pay per emptying for offering GFE and VFG waste in the container.

The municipality of Oldenzaal is legally obliged to ensure that at least once a week the household waste, with the exception of coarse household waste, is collected at plots where this waste can regularly be generated. 

The municipality has outsourced this collection to Twente Milieu. The municipality of Oldenzaal levies the waste levy for the collection and processing of household waste. The user of a plot (with the exception of business premises) is liable for the waste levy. You can find the assessment for waste disposal on the assessment notice for municipal levies. 

The municipality of Oldenzaal has transferred its tax duties from 2014 to the Municipal Tax Office Twente (GBT). For more information about taxes, tax remission, appraisal reports, tax rates and WOZ values, we refer you to the website of the GBT,

You can already see for yourself how often you have presented residual waste. This can be done on the Twente Milieu website. You can log in with your zip code, house number and environmental pass. This way you can calculate and check the amount of your variable waste costs yourself.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Oldenzaal

Last updated on 22 September 2022