Single Digital Gateway

Paying the waste collection charge

You must pay the waste collection charge (afvalstoffenheffing) for the collection and processing of your household waste. The waste collection charge is part of the municipal taxes (gemeentelijke belastingen) and is billed by your municipality.

Municipalities calculate the amount of the waste collection charge in different ways. Some municipalities calculate the amount of the waste collection charge based of the size of your household. The larger your household, the more you pay. Other municipalities calculate the charge based on the amount of waste collected.

The waste collection charge is included in the municipal tax bill. This is usually sent out in the first 2 weeks of February.

Apply for an exemption on paying municipal taxes

Are you unable to pay your municipal taxes? Then ask your municipality for an exemption. You can be granted an exemption from paying part of the taxes, or all of the taxes. The municipality decides for which taxes you can be exempt from paying. It also determines whether you are eligible for an exemption.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Afvalstoffenheffing (waste disposal charges)

Please note. You only pay afvalstoffenheffing (waste disposal charges) if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

GBTwente levies and collects taxes on behalf of the municipality of Losser. You therefore pay waste disposal charges to GBTwente. A fixed and variable rate applies in the municipality of Losser.

You pay a fixed rate, which is the same for all households.

You also pay a variable rate. This amount depends on the number of times you dispose of waste or have it collected. The more or the more often you throw away waste, the higher the variable rate. The amount also depends on the type of container you have. The bigger it is, the more waste you throw away and the more you pay.

Waste collection tax assessment

You get a tax bill. This is a letter from the municipality stating how much waste disposal charges you have to pay. The letter also tells you how to pay. You pay this amount within 6 weeks. Are you unable to pay the amount in one go? Then you can:

  • Pay in instalments: you request a direct debit and GBTwente debits the amount in installments (every month) from your bank account.
  • Request a payment arrangement from GBTwente.

On GBTwente you can read how you can pay your waste disposal charges.


You can ask the municipality whether you do not have to pay part of the waste disposal charges. This is called a waiver. Whether you are entitled to remission depends on your personal situation. You can apply for a remission via GBTwente.

Do you disagree with the amount of your waste disposal charges? Then you can object. This is possible via GBTwente.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Losser

Last updated on 22 September 2022