Single Digital Gateway

Paying the waste collection charge

You must pay the waste collection charge (afvalstoffenheffing) for the collection and processing of your household waste. The waste collection charge is part of the municipal taxes (gemeentelijke belastingen) and is billed by your municipality.

Municipalities calculate the amount of the waste collection charge in different ways. Some municipalities calculate the amount of the waste collection charge based of the size of your household. The larger your household, the more you pay. Other municipalities calculate the charge based on the amount of waste collected.

The waste collection charge is included in the municipal tax bill. This is usually sent out in the first 2 weeks of February.

Apply for an exemption on paying municipal taxes

Are you unable to pay your municipal taxes? Then ask your municipality for an exemption. You can be granted an exemption from paying part of the taxes, or all of the taxes. The municipality decides for which taxes you can be exempt from paying. It also determines whether you are eligible for an exemption.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Collection charge

Every year around February you will receive the municipal tax assessment. This also includes the collection charge. You will receive the assessment from the Belastingsamenwerking Gemeenten en Hoogheemraadschap Utrecht (BGHu). The BGHu carries out tax matters on behalf of the municipality of Bunnik. Your personal situation determines which municipal tax you pay.

Please note: you only pay collection charges if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

You pay the following waste collection charge in the municipality of Bunnik.

Fixed rate

You pay a fixed rate based on the number of people in your household:

  • single-person household: € 208,00
  • two-person household: € 373,00

Waste collection charge letter

The municipality will send you a letter stating how much you have to pay for waste disposal. It will also state how and by what date you must pay.

Pay on time

Make sure that you pay on time. Otherwise you will have to pay a fine.


You can ask the municipality whether you are entitled to an exemption for paying part of the charge. That expemtion is referred to as kwijtschelding. Whether you are entitled to an exemption depends on your personal situation. You can apply for an exemption on the website of the BGHu.

The conditions for relief (kwijtschelding) are: You have an income at social assistance level or you have no income You also have no savings or equity

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Bunnik

Last updated on 22 September 2022