Single Digital Gateway

Paying the sewage charge

You pay a sewage charge (rioolheffing) for your wastewater and for rainwater that ends up in the sewer. The sewage charge is part of the municipal taxes and is collected by the municipality, which uses that money to pay for maintenance and replacement of the sewers. Some municipalities also call the sewage charge sewage tax (rioolbelasting).

Each municipality has its own way of calculating the sewage charge. For example, some municipalities calculate the sewage charge based on the value of the property. Others base it on drinking-water consumption. To find out how your municipality calculates the sewage charge, contact your municipality. 

The sewage charge is included in the municipal tax bill. This is usually sent out in the first 2 weeks of February.

Apply for an exemption on paying municipal taxes

Are you unable to pay your municipal taxes? Then ask your municipality for an exemption. You can be granted an exemption from paying part of the taxes, or all of the taxes.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Paying the sewage charge

Please note: you only have to pay  rioolheffing (sewage charge) if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

ining the sewage charge, the municipality does not make any distinction between the owner and the user. Account is taken of how much water you consume on an annual basis. One sewage rate applies.


-Per plot with a water consumption of 0 m³ - 500 m³ an amount of € 244.44
-Per plot with a water consumption of 501 m³ - 1000 m³ an amount of € 338.16
-Per plot with a water consumption of 1001 m³ - 1500 m³ an amount of € 1,097.52
-Storage for every 500 m³ (or part thereof) of water consumption above 1500 m³ an amount of € 426.72


You will receive a letter from the municipality stating the amount of the sewage charge. The letter will state how and by what date you must pay.

Paying on time

Pay on time to avoid having to pay extra charges.

You can object to the tax assessment within 6 weeks. You should address the notice of objection to the municipality of Hellendoorn, for the attention of the tax officer, PO Box 200, 7440 AE Nijverdal. You can also submit a digitaal objection.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Hellendoorn

Visiting address

Willem-Alexanderstraat 7

7442MA Nijverdal

Opening hours
09:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 17:00
09:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 17:00
09:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 17:00
09:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 17:00
09:00 - 12:00
13:00 - 16:00
Last updated on 26 September 2022