Single Digital Gateway

Municipality of Elburg: exchanging a foreign driving licence for a Dutch driving licence

Please note: you must live in the Netherlands and be registered with a municipality to exchange a foreign driving licence. You must hand in your foreign driving licence when you apply. You are not allowed to drive until you have received your new driving licence.

Take these documents with you to the municipality:

  • A color passport photo. View the photo matrix for the requirements.
  • Your foreign driver's license.
  • Do you still have an old Dutch driving licence? Then take this with you.
  • Are you in the Netherlands for work? In that case, take the Decree for evidence rule from the Tax and Customs Administration with you.
  • Have you issued a driving license outside the EU/EFTA? Then you always need a health declaration from the CBR. Have you issued a driving license within the EU/EFTA? Then you sometimes need a health declaration. Check the website of the CBR when you need it.

You can exchange your foreign driving license at the municipality where you are registered.

By appointment

Make an appointment for this via: Make an appointment.

You pay a fee for this service. For more information, contact the municipality by using de form 'Information request'.

It takes 2 to 4 weeks for the licences to be exchanged. You will receive a letter from the Rijksdienst voor het Wegverkeer – RDW (Netherlands Vehicle Authority) when you can collect your driving licence. You must collect your driving licence in person. You have 3 months to do this after you have received the letter from the RDW. After that time, the driving licence will be destroyed.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Elburg

Visiting address

Zuiderzeestraatweg Oost 19

8081LA Elburg

Opening hours
Last updated on 27 March 2024