Single Digital Gateway

Municipality of Delft: exchanging a foreign driving licence for a Dutch driving licence

Do you want to substitute your foreign driving licence for a Dutch driving licence? Then make an appointment with the municipality. Or call 14015 (0031 15 2602222 for foreign calls).

You can only substitute your foreign driving licence if you meet the following conditions:

  • You are registered at Delft
  • You have Dutch nationality or a valid title of residence 
  • You have a valid driving licence issued in the EU, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland or several countries under the treaty

Ensure you bring:

  • Valid proof of identity or your residence permit
  • Your foreign driving licence
  • 1 passport photograph in colour that conforms to all requirements. Your passport photograph must not be older than 6 months.
  • Certificate of fitness. Consult the website of the RDW if this also involves you.

Expired foreign driving licence

Did you have a Dutch driving licence issued after 1 October 1986? In that case you can substitute your expired foreign driving licence immediately. In all other cases you need a Declaration of no objection issued by the country concerned.

RDW (Netherlands Government Road Transport Agency)

The RDW handles your application and returns the foreign driving licence to its country of issue. The driving licence is not returned to you.

Driving with a foreign driving licence

In the Netherlands you are allowed to drive with a driving licence issued outside the EU for 185 days at the most. After this period you must substitute your foreign driving licence for a Dutch driving licence.

For more information, go to Any questions? Call 14015 (0031 15 260 2222 for foreign calls).

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Delft

Visiting address

Stationsplein 1

2611BV Delft

Opening hours
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
8:30 - 17:00
Last updated on 1 September 2023