Single Digital Gateway

Applying for a Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag (VOG) in the Netherlands

Many jobs in the Netherlands require you to have a Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag – VOG (certificate of conduct). This also includes volunteer work. Examples are if you are going to work with confidential information or with children. A VOG shows that your behaviour is satisfactory for a new job. You may also need a VOG to apply for a visa or if you want to emigrate to another country.

There are several ways to apply for a VOG:

Do you own a company or organisation that requires a VOG? Then you can apply for a VOG voor rechtspersonen – VOG RP (certificate of conduct for legal entities).

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Declaration of Good Conduct (Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag, VOG)

Declaration of Good Conduct ('Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag', VOG) is proof of your good conduct. Employers and organisations can ask you for a VOG. For example, if you are going to work in childcare or education, but also if you are applying for a gun licence.

Teachers, taxi drivers and people who work in childcare must have a VOG. You may also need a VOG because:

  • A future employer has asked you for one;
  • You want to do voluntary work and the organisation has asked you for one;
  • You are self-employed and a client asks you for one;
  • You are applying for a visa;
  • You want to become a member of a shooting association;
  • You are relocating abroad.

Justis is the government organisation that processes all VOG applications. If you have not committed any criminal offences, you will receive a VOG. If you have committed criminal offences, further research will be necessary. Justis will look at whether the criminal offences are of relevance to your application. If these are not relevant, you will still receive a VOG.

When you apply for a VOG through the municipality:

  • Completed and signed application form;
  • All the documents that the application tells you to submit;
  • Valid proof of identity.

Authorising someone else to act on your behalf

If you want someone else to apply to the municipality for a VOG on your behalf, the person must take the following with them:

  • Completed application form with all the required documents;
  • Signed authorisation letter;
  • A copy of your proof of identity;
  • Their own valid proof of identity.

Option 1

Print the application form from the Justis Service and fill in it together with your employer. Hand the form in at the municipality where you are registered. Book an appointment for this. Bring proof of identity with you, such as your passport or driving licence.

Option 2

Your employer or client prepares the VOG application online and you check the data and pay online.

For an up-to-date overview of fees, please consult the fee ordinance at

You will be notified within 4 weeks of receipt of your application.

If Justis cannot give you a VOG, you will be notified in writing. You can file an objection by letter. You must state in your letter why you should get a VOG. Justis will take a final decision after receiving your objection. If that is a rejection, you may make a new objection. If necessary, you can ask the administrative court to make the decision.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Montferland

Last updated on 26 September 2022