Single Digital Gateway

Applying for study benefit for students with a disability

Do you receive government financial support for your tertiary or secondary education? Are you unable to earn extra income due to a chronic illness or disability? Then you may be eligible for study benefit (studietoeslag) from your municipality.

In all cases, the following conditions must be met to be eligible to receive study benefit:

  • you receive student finance (studiefinanciering) as a tertiary student or a basic allowance (basistoelage) for secondary students;
  • you cannot earn extra income alongside your studies because of your disability.
  • you are not entitled to the Wajong benefit

Ask your municipality about all the conditions that apply.

You can apply for study benefit at the municipality where you live, regardless of where you are studying.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Westerkwartier: Applying for study benefit for students with a disability

Please note: you can apply for a studietoeslag (study benefit) only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

The following conditions apply:

  • You are registered with the municipality of Westerkwartier.
  • You have a medical disability
  • As a result, you cannot work alongside your studies
  • You will receive a student grant (WSF) or a contribution under Chapter 4 of the Education Contribution and School Costs Allowance Act (WTOS). WTOS concerns pupils aged 18 years older in secondary education or secondary general adult education (Vavo)
  • You are not entitled to a WAJONG benefit

  • You can submit an application digitally. You must be in possession of a DigiD login code
  • You can also ask the municipality by telephone or e-mail to send you an application form
  • If you are under the age of 18, one of your parents or your guardian must also sign the application form

What do you need for the digital application?

  • Your DigiD login code
  • If you are under the age of 18, your parent/guardian must co-sign with his or her own DigiD login code
  • Copy of a valid ID (not a driver's license)
  • Copy of proof of enrollment in training
  • Copy of DUO decision showing that you receive WSF or WTOS
  • Copy bank card
  • Any statement from the UWV, a doctor or another body showing that you have a long-term disability

You must apply for a study allowance again for each new school year.

Study allowance amounts

The amount of the study allowance depends on your age. The amounts can be found on the website of the municipality of Westerkwartier.

You will receive a letter informing you of the outcome within 8 weeks of your application. What happens if the application is incomplete or more time is needed for the investigation? Processing may take longer than 8 weeks in such cases.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Westerkwartier

Last updated on 26 September 2022