Single Digital Gateway

Municipality of Veendam: applying for study benefit for students with a disability

Please note: you can apply for a studietoeslag (study benefit) only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

The following conditions apply:

  • You are registered with the municipality of Veendam.
  • You do not receive Wajong benefits, which are benefits under the Wet arbeidsongeschiktheidsvoorziening jonggehandicapten (Law on the provision of incapacity benefit to disabled young people).
  • You receive student finance under the Wet op de studiefinanciering – WSF (Student Finance Act) or a contribution on the basis of the Wet tegemoetkoming onderwijsbijdrage en schoolkosten – WTOS (Fees and Educational Expenses (Allowances) Act).
  • You are fundamentally unable to work alongside your studies due to a structural medical limitation. The medical limitation has been determined by a medical expert and is for at least 12 months.


  • Do you receive an internship allowance? You may keep part of it. Check for the current amount. Anything you earn more will be deducted from the study allowance. This amount can be adjusted with the annual indexation.
  • Are you younger than 18? Then you may not apply for it yourself. You need permission from a parent, guardian or carer. Do you have this permission? Then you can download an application form.
  • If you receive study allowance, you must report changes to us within 5 working days. Examples of changes can be:
    • You are moving to another municipality
    • You stop attending school and therefore no longer receive study financing or WTOS
    • You are going to do a traineeship
    • You receive an internship allowance

Complete the digital form (DigiD) or pdf form in full (together with the attachments): Apply for study allowance/Studietoeslag (form is in Dutch).

You must upload/attach the following attachments to the application form:

  • A copy of a valid identity document (passport, identity card or verblijfsvergunning (residence permit) (not a driving licence).
  • A letter confirming the Dienst Uitvoering Onderwijs – DUO (education implementation service) grant of your student finance. That can be based on either the WSF or the WTOS.
  • A statement from an expert (e.g. from the UWV) stating that you cannot work alongside your studies. We may also request a medical opinion. In that case, you will be informed.
  • If you are doing a work placement, please enclose the work placement agreement stating the work placement allowance.

Study benefit amounts

The amount of the study allowance depends on your age. You can view the amounts per month via

You will receive a letter informing you of the outcome within 8 weeks of your application. What happens if the application is incomplete or more time is needed for the investigation? Processing may take longer than 8 weeks in such cases.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Veendam

Last updated on 10 January 2023