Single Digital Gateway

Applying for study benefit for students with a disability

Do you receive government financial support for your tertiary or secondary education? Are you unable to earn extra income due to a chronic illness or disability? Then you may be eligible for study benefit (studietoeslag) from your municipality.

In all cases, the following conditions must be met to be eligible to receive study benefit:

  • you receive student finance (studiefinanciering) as a tertiary student or a basic allowance (basistoelage) for secondary students;
  • you cannot earn extra income alongside your studies because of your disability.
  • you are not entitled to the Wajong benefit

Ask your municipality about all the conditions that apply.

You can apply for study benefit at the municipality where you live, regardless of where you are studying.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Nieuwkoop: Applying for study benefit for students with a disability

Please note: you can apply for a studietoeslag (study benefit) only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

  • You live in the municipality of Nieuwkoop.
  • You are a Dutch national or you have a valid residence permit.
  • You are unable to work alongside your studies due to a structural medical disability.
  • You will receive student finance or an allowance based on the Education Contribution and School Expenses Allowance Act (WTOS).
  • You have not received a study allowance in the past 12 months.

Do you have a question about the study allowance or do you want to apply for it? Then call +31172465231. Or send an e-mail to An employee of the Service Square will help you further.

Are you younger than 18 years old? Then your legal representative or guardian will submit the application. You can also submit the application yourself. Please enclose proof that your legal representative or guardian gives permission for the application to be submitted.

You will receive a letter informing you of the outcome within 8 weeks of your application. What happens if the application is incomplete or more time is needed for the investigation? Processing may take longer than 8 weeks in such cases.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Nieuwkoop

Last updated on 26 September 2022