Single Digital Gateway

Applying for study benefit for students with a disability

Do you receive government financial support for your tertiary or secondary education? Are you unable to earn extra income due to a chronic illness or disability? Then you may be eligible for study benefit (studietoeslag) from your municipality.

In all cases, the following conditions must be met to be eligible to receive study benefit:

  • you receive student finance (studiefinanciering) as a tertiary student or a basic allowance (basistoelage) for secondary students;
  • you cannot earn extra income alongside your studies because of your disability.
  • you are not entitled to the Wajong benefit

Ask your municipality about all the conditions that apply.

You can apply for study benefit at the municipality where you live, regardless of where you are studying.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Applying for scholarship

Many students have side jobs to pay for their education. But students with structural medical disabilities are unable to earn a side job. For them, there is the study allowance. This provides a helping hand to still do an education.

Please note: you can apply for a studietoeslag (study benefit) only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

To apply for study allowance, you must meet all the conditions:

  • you are 18 years of age or older;
  • you are following a course for which you receive study financing or pupil grants (WTOS);
  • you are unable to work alongside your studies due to a structural medical disability;
  • You do not receive any benefit from the UWV (e.g. Wajong, WIA);
  • you do not receive any income for maintenance.

  • valid proof of identity;
  • Proof of study financing or scholarship assistance (WTOS);
  • proof of education;
  • statement from an expert showing that you have a structural medical disability.

You will receive a letter informing you of the outcome within 8 weeks of your application. What happens if the application is incomplete or more time is needed for the investigation? Processing may take longer than 8 weeks in such cases.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Deventer

Last updated on 26 September 2022