Single Digital Gateway

Applying for study benefit for students with a disability

Do you receive government financial support for your tertiary or secondary education? Are you unable to earn extra income due to a chronic illness or disability? Then you may be eligible for study benefit (studietoeslag) from your municipality.

In all cases, the following conditions must be met to be eligible to receive study benefit:

  • you receive student finance (studiefinanciering) as a tertiary student or a basic allowance (basistoelage) for secondary students;
  • you cannot earn extra income alongside your studies because of your disability.
  • you are not entitled to the Wajong benefit

Ask your municipality about all the conditions that apply.

You can apply for study benefit at the municipality where you live, regardless of where you are studying.

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Applying for study benefit for students with a disability

Please note: you can apply for a studietoeslag (study benefit) only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

The following conditions apply:

  • You are 15 years or older and live in the municipality of Arnhem.
  • You cannot work alongside your studies due to your chronic illness or disability. 
  • You will receive student finance (WSF 2000) or you will receive an allowance under the Education Contribution and School Expenses Allowance Act (WTOS).
  • You do not receive a lifelong learning credit. You are not entitled to a Wajong benefit.

Complete the application form (pdf, 514 kB) completely and return it together with the attachments to:

Municipality of Arnhem
Work and Income, division of labor
Answer number 3740
6800 XA Arnhem

You can also submit the form digitally via

The study allowance can be applied for with retroactive effect, up to April 1, 2022. But only if you already met all the conditions set at that time. Do you want to use this option? In that case, indicate this with your application for a study allowance.

What do you need to send with the application?

A copy of a valid ID.
Proof that you receive student finance (WSF2000) or an allowance under the Education Contribution and School Expenses Allowance Act (WTOS).
If you are doing an internship, you must also send with your application: a copy of the internship agreement that shows the period of the internship and the amount of the internship allowance. Income from an internship allowance higher than € 200.60 per month will be deducted from the study allowance.

Amount of the surcharge

As of 1 July 2023, the study allowance is:

  • 21-year-olds and older: € 334.34 per month
  • 20-year-olds: € 267.47 per month
  • 19-year-olds: € 200.60 per month
  • 18-year-olds: € 167.17 per month
  • 17-year-olds: € 132.06 per month
  • 16-year-olds: € 115.34 per month
  • 15-year-olds: € 100.30 per month

More information

Do you have any questions? Send an e-mail to or call customer service on 0800-1809.

You will receive a letter informing you of the outcome within 8 weeks of your application. What happens if the application is incomplete or more time is needed for the investigation? Processing may take longer than 8 weeks in such cases.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Arnhem

Visiting address

Koningsstraat 38

6811DG Arnhem

Opening hours
12:00 - 20:00
09:00 - 17:00
09:00 - 17:00
09:00 - 17:00
09:00 - 17:00
Last updated on 26 September 2022