Single Digital Gateway

Applying for social assistance

If you have too little money to get by, you may be entitled to social assistance (bijstand). You can apply for social assistance at your municipality or the website, an online work platform operated by the Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen – UWV (Employee Insurance Agency).

You are entitled to social assistance if you:

  • are a Dutch citizen or lawfully resident in the Netherlands, and;

  • are aged 18 or over;

  • do not have enough income or funds to get by. Your (joint) income must be below the social assistance standard (in Dutch);

  • cannot claim any other provision or benefit;

  • are not in prison or in a detention house.

There are also a number of obligations when you receive social assistance (in Dutch).

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Applying for social assistance

You can apply for a social assistance benefit only if you live in the Netherlands and are registered at a municipality. For more information on and applying for a social assistance benefit, go to the Westland municipal website (information in Dutch).

For more information visit For questions please call: 140174 (0031 174 673 700) for foreign calls).

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Westland

Visiting address

Verdilaan 7

2671VW Naaldwijk

Opening hours
13:00 - 20:00
08:30 - 16:30
08:30 - 16:30
13:00 - 20:00
08:30 - 16:30
Last updated on 22 September 2022