Single Digital Gateway

Applying for social assistance

If you have too little money to get by, you may be entitled to social assistance (bijstand). You can apply for social assistance at your municipality or the website, an online work platform operated by the Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen – UWV (Employee Insurance Agency).

You are entitled to social assistance if you:

  • are a Dutch citizen or lawfully resident in the Netherlands, and;

  • are aged 18 or over;

  • do not have enough income or funds to get by. Your (joint) income must be below the social assistance standard (in Dutch);

  • cannot claim any other provision or benefit;

  • are not in prison or in a detention house.

There are also a number of obligations when you receive social assistance (in Dutch).

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Utrecht: Applying for social assistance

Do you live in the municipality of Utrecht? You can apply for social assistence at the municipality of Utrecht and not via

Have you just moved to the municipality of Utrecht? If so, you cannot apply for social assistence until we have processed your move in the Personal Records Database (BRP). That takes about 5 working days.

Are you a newcomer?

As a newcomer, the following conditions apply:

  • You have a valid residence permit
  • You have received a residence status from the Central Agency for the Reception of Asylum Seekers (COA).
  • You live independently or will do so soon
  • You are participating in the compulsory civic integration
  • You meet the general conditions for social assistance.

Would you like to apply or receive more information? Contact the municipality of Utrecht. You can also get help with your application. Together we will look at what would be the best way to help you in your situation.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Utrecht

Last updated on 22 September 2022