Single Digital Gateway

Applying for social assistance

If you have too little money to get by, you may be entitled to social assistance (bijstand). You can apply for social assistance at your municipality or the website, an online work platform operated by the Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen – UWV (Employee Insurance Agency).

You are entitled to social assistance if you:

  • are a Dutch citizen or lawfully resident in the Netherlands, and;

  • are aged 18 or over;

  • do not have enough income or funds to get by. Your (joint) income must be below the social assistance standard (in Dutch);

  • cannot claim any other provision or benefit;

  • are not in prison or in a detention house.

There are also a number of obligations when you receive social assistance (in Dutch).

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Tilburg: Applying for social assistance

Please note: you can only apply for bijstand (social assistance) if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

You can apply for social assistance from the municipality of Tilburg if you meet the following additional conditions:

  • You live in the municipality of Tilburg.
  • You do not yet receive an Algemene Ouderdomswet – AOW (State Pension).
  • Do you live with your partner or have a joint household with someone? If so, the income and savings of that person are also taken into account.
  • You are participating in activities offered to you by the municipality of Tilburg to find work.
  • You must understand, speak, read and write Dutch to a sufficient standard. You are entitled to social welfare assistance even if your Dutch is not good enough. However, the municipality may reduce your welfare benefit if you do not do your best to learn Dutch.
  • Are you between 18 and 27 years old? If so, you can also apply for social assistance on the condition that, first, you actively look for work or education for 4 weeks.

You need DigiD to apply for social assistance benefits.

You can apply for social assistance benefits at

  • Go to, log in with your DigiD and follow the instructions on the website.
  • After submitting the form on, you can make an appointment on the website  for the registration interview with Werk & Inkomen. If you do not do this within 2 working days, you must first report again at A registration interview is not possible if you have not yet applied for social assistance benefit.
  • Is there a malfunction on or do you have questions about completing the form? Then contact the UWV.
  • Don't have a DigiD? Go directly to to apply for DigiD. Then call 14 013 and let us know that your DigiD has been applied for, so that a notification date for your benefit is registered. You will receive your DigiD within 5 working days.
  • Are you 26 or younger? Then you cannot complete the online application immediately. It is important that you first register on and start filling in the name and address details (name, address, place of residence) of the application (E-wwb). Notification date is later date of payment. After entering your details on, you can make an appointment directly via for the registration interview with Werk & Inkomen. At the registration interview you will receive the application form for the benefit.

You will find out within 8 weeks whether you will receive social assistance. You will receive social assistance from the date of the application.

Do you disagree with the decision? Then you can object within 6 weeks of receipt.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Tilburg

Visiting address

Burg. Brokxlaan 1680

5041SG Tilburg

Opening hours
Last updated on 22 September 2022