Single Digital Gateway

Applying for social assistance

If you have too little money to get by, you may be entitled to social assistance (bijstand). You can apply for social assistance at your municipality or the website, an online work platform operated by the Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen – UWV (Employee Insurance Agency).

You are entitled to social assistance if you:

  • are a Dutch citizen or lawfully resident in the Netherlands, and;

  • are aged 18 or over;

  • do not have enough income or funds to get by. Your (joint) income must be below the social assistance standard (in Dutch);

  • cannot claim any other provision or benefit;

  • are not in prison or in a detention house.

There are also a number of obligations when you receive social assistance (in Dutch).

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Peel en Maas: Applying for social assistance

Please note: you can only apply for bijstand (social assistance) if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

You can apply for social assistance from the municipality of Peel en Maas if you meet the following additional conditions:

  • You live in the municipality of Peel en Maas.
  • You do not yet receive an Algemene Ouderdomswet – AOW (State Pension).
  • Do you live with your partner or have a joint household with someone? If so, the income and savings of that person are also taken into account.
  • You are participating in activities offered to you by the municipality of Peel en Maas to find work.
  • You must understand, speak, read and write Dutch to a sufficient standard. You are entitled to social welfare assistance even if your Dutch is not good enough. However, the municipality may reduce your welfare benefit if you do not do your best to learn Dutch.
  • Are you between 18 and 27 years old? If so, you can also apply for social assistance on the condition that, first, you actively look for work or education for 4 weeks.

  • Your Burgerservicenummer – BSN (citizen service number) and, if applicable, that of your partner and/or children.
  • Your most recent bank statements and, if applicable, those of your partner and/or children.
  • Your mortgage details if you own a home.
  • Your email address.
  • Your DigiD.
  • If you apply at the service desk, you will need a valid form of identitification. This cannot be a driving licence.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Peel en Maas

Visiting address

Wilhelminaplein 1

5981CC Panningen

Opening hours
08:30 - 19.30
08:30 - 17:00
08:30 - 17.00
08:30 - 17:00
08:30 - 17:00
08:30 - 12:00
Last updated on 22 September 2022