Single Digital Gateway

Applying for social assistance

If you have too little money to get by, you may be entitled to social assistance (bijstand). You can apply for social assistance at your municipality or the website, an online work platform operated by the Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen – UWV (Employee Insurance Agency).

You are entitled to social assistance if you:

  • are a Dutch citizen or lawfully resident in the Netherlands, and;

  • are aged 18 or over;

  • do not have enough income or funds to get by. Your (joint) income must be below the social assistance standard (in Dutch);

  • cannot claim any other provision or benefit;

  • are not in prison or in a detention house.

There are also a number of obligations when you receive social assistance (in Dutch).

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Nieuwkoop: Applying for social assistance

Please note: you can only apply for bijstand (social assistance) if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

  • You do not have enough income or equity to support yourself
  • You live legally in the Netherlands
  • You have a permanent residence in the municipality of Nieuwkoop
  • You are 18 years or older
  • You are not entitled to any other benefit
  • You are not in prison or a detention center

To request assistance, please contact the service square of the municipality of Alphen aan den Rijn on +31172465231.

You need the following documents for your application:

  • your proof of identity or residence permit
  • your income data (wage, alimony, tax refund)
  • bank statements for the past three months
  • information about your assets (possessions such as a car, securities, amount of your debts)
  • amount of mortgage or rent start and (possible) 
  • end date of your employment with your last employer
  • Do you have a partner or spouse you live with? Then we need the above information from both persons.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Nieuwkoop

Last updated on 22 September 2022