Single Digital Gateway

Applying for social assistance

If you have too little money to get by, you may be entitled to social assistance (bijstand). You can apply for social assistance at your municipality or the website, an online work platform operated by the Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen – UWV (Employee Insurance Agency).

You are entitled to social assistance if you:

  • are a Dutch citizen or lawfully resident in the Netherlands, and;

  • are aged 18 or over;

  • do not have enough income or funds to get by. Your (joint) income must be below the social assistance standard (in Dutch);

  • cannot claim any other provision or benefit;

  • are not in prison or in a detention house.

There are also a number of obligations when you receive social assistance (in Dutch).

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Hoorn: Applying for social assistance

Do you have a low income or no income? Then you may be entitled to a benefit.

Please note: you can only apply for bijstand (social assistance) if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

Benefits via WerkSaam Westfriesland

  • Social Security benefit
  • Assistance for the self-employed
  • Benefits for people over 50 (IOAW and IOAZ)
  • Benefit for persons without a fixed place of residence or abode

More information about the conditions and application can be found on the WerkSaam Westfriesland website.

Benefits via UWV

  • unemployment benefit (WW benefit)
  • benefit for young disabled persons (Wajong)
  • sickness benefit (Sickness Benefits Act, WIA, WAO and WAZ)

More information about the conditions and application can be found on the UWV website.

Regulations of the Municipality of Hoorn

In Hoorn there are schemes for people with a low income. More information can be found on the page Help for people with a low income.

Benefit fraud

WerkSaam checks monthly whether people on social assistance are (still) entitled to this. Do you suspect benefit fraud? Then contact Werksaam.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Hoorn

Last updated on 22 September 2022