Single Digital Gateway

Applying for social assistance

If you have too little money to get by, you may be entitled to social assistance (bijstand). You can apply for social assistance at your municipality or the website, an online work platform operated by the Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen – UWV (Employee Insurance Agency).

You are entitled to social assistance if you:

  • are a Dutch citizen or lawfully resident in the Netherlands, and;

  • are aged 18 or over;

  • do not have enough income or funds to get by. Your (joint) income must be below the social assistance standard (in Dutch);

  • cannot claim any other provision or benefit;

  • are not in prison or in a detention house.

There are also a number of obligations when you receive social assistance (in Dutch).

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Social assistance benefit

Please note: you can only apply for bijstand (social assistance) if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

You can apply for social assistance from the municipality of Heerde if you meet the following additional conditions:

  • You are 18 years or older, but younger than retirement age. Please note: are you younger than 27 years old? Then go to Assistance for young people.
  • You legally reside in the Netherlands and are registered as a resident in the municipality of Heerde.
  • You have a residence status with which you can apply for social assistance benefit (if applicable).
  • Your (joint) income does not exceed the social assistance standard that applies to you.
  • Your capital does not exceed the amount to be released under the Participation Act.
  • You are not in prison.
  • You cannot receive any other benefit or other means.

You can apply for social assistance with the following form:

Apply for social assistance (in Dutch) Log in with your DigiD username and password.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Heerde

Last updated on 22 September 2022