Single Digital Gateway

Applying for social assistance

If you have too little money to get by, you may be entitled to social assistance (bijstand). You can apply for social assistance at your municipality or the website, an online work platform operated by the Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen – UWV (Employee Insurance Agency).

You are entitled to social assistance if you:

  • are a Dutch citizen or lawfully resident in the Netherlands, and;

  • are aged 18 or over;

  • do not have enough income or funds to get by. Your (joint) income must be below the social assistance standard (in Dutch);

  • cannot claim any other provision or benefit;

  • are not in prison or in a detention house.

There are also a number of obligations when you receive social assistance (in Dutch).

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Municipality of Goes: Applying for social assistance

Pay attention. You can only apply for social assistance if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

You're able to apply for social assistence benefit at GR de Bevelanden if you fulfil the following requirements:

  • You're a resident of the municipality of Goes.
  • You don't receive a state pension.
  • If you live together with someone in the same household both your income and savings are counted.
  • You have to follow the activities that the municipality of Goes offers to find employment.
  • Your understanding, ability to speak/read/write Dutch, has to be adequate. You have a right for social assistence benefit. Even if your understanding of the Dutch language isnt'adequate. The municipality can however reduce the amount of social assistence benefit if you don't try to improve your understanding of the Dutch language.
  • Are you between the ages of 18 and 27 years? Then you can apply for social assistence benefits after four weeks of actively searching for employement of scholing.

For more information and applaying for social assistence benefits you can visit the website of GR de Bevelanden.

You will hear within 8 weeks whether you will receive the benefit. You will receive assistance from the day of the application.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Goes

Last updated on 22 September 2022