Single Digital Gateway

Applying for social assistance

If you have too little money to get by, you may be entitled to social assistance (bijstand). You can apply for social assistance at your municipality or the website, an online work platform operated by the Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen – UWV (Employee Insurance Agency).

You are entitled to social assistance if you:

  • are a Dutch citizen or lawfully resident in the Netherlands, and;

  • are aged 18 or over;

  • do not have enough income or funds to get by. Your (joint) income must be below the social assistance standard (in Dutch);

  • cannot claim any other provision or benefit;

  • are not in prison or in a detention house.

There are also a number of obligations when you receive social assistance (in Dutch).

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Apply for social assistance benefits

The starting point of the Participation Act is that every Dutch person provides for his own livelihood as much as possible, in order to enable everyone to participate as a full citizen and to contribute to society. If this is not possible, the municipality will help you look for work. As long as you do not yet have an income, you can receive financial support. The Participation Act offers support for people with and without an occupational disability.

You can apply for a benefit if you meet the following conditions:

  • you are 18 years or older.
  • you are Dutch or equivalent. You are equal to a Dutch citizen if you come from an EU country, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland. You are also equated if you have a valid residence permit or otherwise lawfully reside in the Netherlands (for example, if you are conducting legal proceedings against a rejection of your residence permit).
  • you live or are staying in the Netherlands.
  • you have no or insufficient own income.
  • you have no assets or assets that are less than the maximum amount.
  • you cannot receive any other benefit. For example, unemployment benefit or disability benefit.
  • you are not excluded from the right to social assistance benefits. This is the case, for example, if you are in prison.

NB! Are you younger than 27 years old? Then you first register for assistance. After the notification, you will look for work or training for 4 weeks. Didn't this work? Then you can then apply for social assistance benefit.

Reintegration to work

The municipality is obliged, where necessary, to support you in your reintegration. For example, you can think of job application guidance, an apprenticeship trajectory, an apprenticeship workplace, training and working with retention of benefits. The latter means that the municipality offers you a job where you can start work immediately while retaining benefits. You are obliged to cooperate with the support that the municipality offers you.

Equity 2024

Your equity includes your savings, your car and your own home. Your equity may not exceed a certain amount. The following applies for 2024:

  • if you are single, you may not have more than € 7.575 in equity;
  • if you are a single parent, married or have a cohabitation contract, you may not have more than € 15.150;
  • if you have more than € 57.000 in equity in your home, you can receive the social assistance benefit as a loan.

What should I do?

Before you wish to apply for benefits, you must register as a job seeker at (DigiD required).

Application procedure for social assistance benefit 27 years and older

  • You can make an appointment for the first meeting with a reintegration consultant via telephone number 14 0187, option 1. 
  • In the short term (usually the day after) you will be invited for an interview to see how you can avoid needing benefits. During this interview, agreements will be made with you about your activities to get to work. 
  • The diagnosis meeting will take place approximately two weeks later. During this meeting, it will be checked whether you have kept to the agreements. It will also be examined whether you may be entitled to other income, so that you do not need assistance. If there is no other option, you can submit the application for social assistance benefit after this interview. In order to process this application, you must provide information about your personal situation. 
  • Once the application is complete, the application will be processed. You will be notified in writing of the decision. The municipality then has about eight weeks to process your application.

Application procedure for social assistance benefit younger than 27 years

  • You can report by telephone on 14 0187. An appointment will then be made with you shortly (usually the next day) for the pre-intake.
  • During this meeting, the reintegration counselor will discuss with you the possibility of going back to school or to study. If this is not feasible, the options for working will be discussed with you.
  • You will receive a letter stating that you will have four weeks to find out what your wishes and options are with regard to finding a job or suitable study. 
  • During these four weeks you arrange the following: 
    • You are registered as a jobseeker with UWV Werkbedrijf. 
    • You speak with a study advisor from a school (institution) to investigate your study options. 
    • If you do not have a basic qualification (not in possession of an MBO-2,-3,-4, HAVO or VWO diploma), you should contact the Education Support Center.
    • You search for vacancies in newspapers, on the internet and through other means. 
    • You register with at least three employment agencies. 
    • You respond to at least four vacancies per week.
  • After four weeks you can make an appointment for the diagnosis meeting. During the interview, it will be examined whether your efforts have been sufficient and your employment opportunities will be mapped out. At the end of the interview, you will be further informed about the possible continuation of the procedure.
  • After submitting the application, you will be invited for an individual interview. You must then bring all supporting documents that are requested.
  • Once the application is complete, the application will be processed. You will be notified in writing of the decision.

What do I have to bring along?

  • proof of identity for you and possibly your partner; 
  • your CV (and possibly your partner's); 
  • proof of your income; 
  • proof of your debts; 
  • proof of your assets (assets, such as savings, car, house, shares); 
  • proof of your employment history (your last employer and the start and end date of your contract).

If you live with your partner and/or children younger than 18, you also need proof of their income, debts and employment history.

For more information and to apply for social assistance benefits, please visit the municipality's website. The link is uitkering.

You will be notified within 8 weeks whether you will receive the benefit. You will receive assistance from the day of the application.

You can find the amount of your social assistance benefit from the central government.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Goeree-Overflakkee

Visiting address

Koningin Julianaweg 45

3241XB Middelharnis

Opening hours
08:00 - 12:00
08:00 - 17:00
08.00 - 17.00
08:00 - 17:00
18:00 - 20:00
08:00 - 12:00
Last updated on 22 September 2022