Single Digital Gateway

Applying for social assistance

If you have too little money to get by, you may be entitled to social assistance (bijstand). You can apply for social assistance at your municipality or the website, an online work platform operated by the Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen – UWV (Employee Insurance Agency).

You are entitled to social assistance if you:

  • are a Dutch citizen or lawfully resident in the Netherlands, and;

  • are aged 18 or over;

  • do not have enough income or funds to get by. Your (joint) income must be below the social assistance standard (in Dutch);

  • cannot claim any other provision or benefit;

  • are not in prison or in a detention house.

There are also a number of obligations when you receive social assistance (in Dutch).

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Living allowance

Please note: you can only apply for bijstand (social assistance) if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

You can apply for social assistance from Zaffier if you meet the following conditions:

  • Me (and my partner) have insufficient income or assets to live on.
  • I am 18 years or older. 
  • I legally live in the Netherlands.
  • I live in the municipality of Alkmaar, Bergen, Castricum, Dijk en Waard, Heiloo or Uitgeest
  • I am not in detention (prison).

  • Post your CV on
  • Valid proof of identity for you and your partner. Please note: a driver's license is not a valid proof of identity for the application for benefits. Bank statements (including savings accounts) from you, your partner and children (up to and including 17 years) who are currently living with you at home. The bank statements must cover the 3 months before your application.
  • Information about your assets, your living situation and possible debts.

For more information and to apply for social assistance, you can go to Zaffier.

You will find out within 8 weeks whether you will receive social assistance. You will receive social assistance from the date of the application.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Dijk en Waard

Last updated on 22 September 2022