Single Digital Gateway

Applying for social assistance

If you have too little money to get by, you may be entitled to social assistance (bijstand). You can apply for social assistance at your municipality or the website, an online work platform operated by the Uitvoeringsinstituut Werknemersverzekeringen – UWV (Employee Insurance Agency).

You are entitled to social assistance if you:

  • are a Dutch citizen or lawfully resident in the Netherlands, and;

  • are aged 18 or over;

  • do not have enough income or funds to get by. Your (joint) income must be below the social assistance standard (in Dutch);

  • cannot claim any other provision or benefit;

  • are not in prison or in a detention house.

There are also a number of obligations when you receive social assistance (in Dutch).

This is how it works for you

Your (future) place of residence falls under:

Here is some information from your municipality.

Social assistance benefits

An assistance benefit allows you to pay necessary living expenses such as rent, food and drink. Apply for the benefit if your income is too low to pay these expenses yourself.

You can also get help finding a job so you can get your own income again. Do you have benefits and have there been changes in your situation or in your income? Then you must report this to us.

The application for assistance always goes through The social affairs department of the municipality of Meierijstad administers the benefit for the municipality of Bernheze.

For more information go to our website via the link below.

Please note. You can only apply for assistance if you live in the Netherlands and are registered with a municipality.

Questions about this topic?

Contact the Municipality of Bernheze

Visiting address

Stadhuisplein 1

5461KN Veghel

Opening hours
Last updated on 22 September 2022